Our ceremony will be held at St Mary’s Catholic Church at 3:00 p.m. on April 6, 2013.
St. Mary’s Catholic Church
St. Mary’s Catholic Church began with a handful of German immigrants in 1846 and, since then, has been a continually growing spiritual family. The famous twin towers of the two churches, the Marienkirche (1861) and the new St. Mary’s (1908), have long been beacons of faith, hope and love here in Fredericksburg and throughout the Hill Country. Here is our story.
New St. Mary’s Church
The building’s cornerstone was laid on July 4, 1905, and is the third church built by St. Mary’s congregation since its founding in 1846. The church was completed in 1908 and was solemnly consecrated on November 24 of that year.
The church is an outstanding example of Gothic architecture. As you can see, strong German influence is evidenced in many of its features. A fine, old pipe organ graces the church, and beautiful stained glass memorial windows adorn the sanctuary and the right and left sides of the church.
The two Guardian Angel windows, depicting a young boy and girl with their guardian angels, were made in Germany where craftsmen worked from actual photographs of these two deceased local children. The boy is James Blum, son of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Blum. The girl is Erna Wagner, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Wagner.
Starting from the front of the church, the left side stained glass windows depict St. Margaret Mary of Alacoque and the Sacred Heart, the Annunciation, and the Presentation of the Lord in the Temple. Again starting from the front of the church, the right side stained glass windows depict St. Ann with Mary as a youth, St. Dominic with the Blessed Mother, the Nativity with the Magi, and the Holy Family.
The altars are of wood with the main altar having an inset of the Last Supper in the front panel. A painting of the twelve apostles appears on the arches above the center aisle and across the apse wall is Christ the King. On the sanctuary wall are two huge paintings, the right one of Melchizedek offering bread and wine, and the left of Christ breaking bread with the two disciples at Emmaus. This symbolizes Christ, king and eternal priest (New Testament) fulfilling the prophecy of Melchizedek, priest and king (Old Testament).